About Me

My photo
Southern France
Lynn Deasy is a freelance writer, author, foodie, and garden tinkerer. She lives in a 600 year old house in southern France with her husband, Christophe. Currently, she is looking for a literary agent for her memoir CA VA? STORIES FROM RURAL LIFE IN SOUTHERN FRANCE which examines the oddities of French provincial living from an outsider’s point of view through a series of adventures that provide more than a fair share of frustration, education, admiration, and blisters…. yes, lots and lots of blisters. Lynn blogs every Monday, Wednesday, and sometimes Friday.

Monday, July 4, 2011

The 4th of July

My memories of the 4th of July:
Waking up early in anticipation of the local parade; the whole family at the breakfast table; my father’s lawn chair planted firmly in its space at the side of the road waiting for the parade to begin; clowns throwing candy from floats followed by the deafening roar of the firemen’s sirens; grilling; getting to stay up late and play in yard; burning cattails to keep the mosquitos away; writing my name in with a sparkler in the night air; watching the neighbor’s fireworks; the smell of sulfur; not wanting the day to end.

I cherish these memories more and more with each passing year.  I do enjoy my life in Southern France, but nothing can compare to this summer day.  Perhaps absence makes the heart grow fonder or its time just emphasizing all the good things that have past, but, I look forward to being there again one day and share my experience and memories.


No comments:

Post a Comment