About Me

My photo
Southern France
Lynn Deasy is a freelance writer, author, foodie, and garden tinkerer. She lives in a 600 year old house in southern France with her husband, Christophe. Currently, she is looking for a literary agent for her memoir CA VA? STORIES FROM RURAL LIFE IN SOUTHERN FRANCE which examines the oddities of French provincial living from an outsider’s point of view through a series of adventures that provide more than a fair share of frustration, education, admiration, and blisters…. yes, lots and lots of blisters. Lynn blogs every Monday, Wednesday, and sometimes Friday.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

America’s Test Kitchen “Dish It Your Way” Challenge: Cupcakes!

Or, to explain why I don’t make them….

Reason #1….

Reason #2….

Reason #3….

Reasons #4, 5, and 6….

And finally, reasons #7, 8, 9, and 10.


I live with my husband in rural France, and think that perhaps anyway but in Paris, cupcakes are an oddity.  When I explained what a cupcake was to Christophe, he gave me the same baffled look as when I explained that a brunch is a meal that is part breakfast-part lunch, to which he responded, “Why would anyone want to skip a meal?” He didn’t understand why I would want to make a “small cake”.  Not to be discouraged, I plotted on.
I have a silicon pan, but it was the only one found after much searching, and it does a terrible job.  It had no lift on the cupcakes and they would not release right.  Trying to get around that, I looked all around for paper cupcakes holders, and couldn’t find them.  I tried ‘enhancing’ the cupcake batter with red currant jam and chocolate, which only sank to the bottom.  I tried ceramic yogurt containers, hence error # 7 - 10.  That was a messy cleanup.
Cupcakes are just not a French thing.  No matter how hard I tried, I was not able to adapt this classic to my new location.  I know, I know… it’s America’s Test Kitchen take on classic American food, so I shouldn’t be saying that, but I’ve been about adapting ever since I met Christophe and this new culture, so I’m all about trying.
I’m not giving up; the fun of experiments also comes from the failures, but I think a step back and a new plan might be needed as well as more local twist.  Speaking of local, the apple trees are producing well this year, so I’m pondering a tarte tartin right about now, which if the story is true, shows good things come from failures.
Summer has come to an end, and so has America’s Test Kitchen “Dish It Your Way” Challenge.  I’ve had a blast trying new recipes – some worked, some didn’t, and Christophe had a great time eating the results, most of the time.  I found a few great new recipes along the way – ice box pickles, salmon with watermelon salsa, how to make a potato salad your own, and that mac n’ cheese can be, and is even better fried. 
The fall winds here are starting to blow, so winter preparations need to be made.  I’m looking forward to evenings in front of the fire while bread bakes in the oven, and dinner simmers quietly on the stove.  I’ll be turning my attention to more autumnal foods, canning from the garden, and writing about rural life in Southern France.  Hope you’ll pull up a chair, grab a glass, and join me.

1 comment:

  1. Who needs a cupcake when you can have a fresh tarte tatin?! I made one for Thanksgiving and it was gone in about 2 seconds.

    ReplyDelete