About Me

My photo
Southern France
Lynn Deasy is a freelance writer, author, foodie, and garden tinkerer. She lives in a 600 year old house in southern France with her husband, Christophe. Currently, she is looking for a literary agent for her memoir CA VA? STORIES FROM RURAL LIFE IN SOUTHERN FRANCE which examines the oddities of French provincial living from an outsider’s point of view through a series of adventures that provide more than a fair share of frustration, education, admiration, and blisters…. yes, lots and lots of blisters. Lynn blogs every Monday, Wednesday, and sometimes Friday.

Friday, March 9, 2012

Seedlings


Spring is arriving, albeit, slowly, and it has gotten me in the spirit of thinking about the garden.  Every year, I get excited about the potential of what can be, and get lost a little bit in fantasy of a super lush garden with overflowing bounty.  I start out strong, but often lose steam somewhere in the process of weeding and vow to myself the next year will be different.  So, here I am, the next year, and I’m looking at my seedlings to give me a jolt of enthusiasm.

Last night I seeded 40 pots of tomatoes and hot peppers.  This is the most I’ve done; we get most of our garden from a neighbor who has such a green thumb she can make plants live just by willing it.  She seeds everything and has moved from numerous hot boxes on the ground to a full blown greenhouse.  It is her passion and her air of making it look so easy that has encouraged me to seed what I can. 

So, here I am, without a greenhouse and weather that is too cold to use my single hot box, and I have 40 pots of dirt sitting on trays in my living room.  I wish I could say I’ve got a set up in the basement with growing light, but I don’t.  I don’t even have a permanently unoccupied sunny table top to let them grow in peace.  Instead, now starts the 2 month run of me chasing sunlight around the house with trays of dirt in hopes some plants will appear.  I know, this is an idea that seems absolutely ridiculous when sitting in a bright sunny house build to maximize sun exposure, the problem is, I’m not in that house.  I’m in an old Catalan house in Southern France.  These houses were build centuries ago when windows were small and scarce.  The fewer openings there are to the exterior means less heat loose and exposure to the howling winds.  Our house has had some renovations, but not enough to remove the challenge from this task.

Just like previous years, I take the trays from room to room following the sun.  If it’s warm enough, I even bring them out to the terrace in the afternoon, I just make they’re back inside before the sun dips behind some clouds.  Don’t get me wrong, I willingly participate in this sunlight marathon, but am happy when the day comes that the seedlings can be permanently transferred outside as they wait to be transplanted into the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment