About Me

My photo
Southern France
Lynn Deasy is a freelance writer, author, foodie, and garden tinkerer. She lives in a 600 year old house in southern France with her husband, Christophe. Currently, she is looking for a literary agent for her memoir CA VA? STORIES FROM RURAL LIFE IN SOUTHERN FRANCE which examines the oddities of French provincial living from an outsider’s point of view through a series of adventures that provide more than a fair share of frustration, education, admiration, and blisters…. yes, lots and lots of blisters. Lynn blogs every Monday, Wednesday, and sometimes Friday.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

May Memoir: Ca va? Stories from Rural Life in Southern France, Chapter 13: An Evening Walk


Welcome to May MEMOIR!
Day 14
For the entire month of May, I'll be sharing part of each chapter from my memoir, Ca va?  Stories from Rural Life in Southern France.


Tired of having all our weekends taken up by collecting wood, Christophe and I decided to collect some wood in the evening so that we would have more time for others things.  We set a spot where I was to meet him on his way home from work.  At first, I thought venturing out into the evening would be fun, but I guess I let my imagination get the better of me.

Chapter 13: An Evening Walk
The next evening, I prepare to meet Christophe on our predetermined spot on the road.  I’m excited to venture out in the fading light and feel like I’m beginning an expedition into the wilderness.  I’m also hopeful that these evenings will free up our weekends for other activities and perhaps give us some time to visit family this upcoming Christmas.
I put on my coat along with my hat and gloves.  I am about to step out the door when I spot an old flashlight sitting on the fireplace mantel.  I decide to take it just in case and shove it into my pocket as I close the door behind me.
Outside, the air is crisp.  I quickly feel it hit my checks and am happy I have dressed so warmly.  It is very quiet and the sound of my feet walking across the gravel resounds in the square.  I see the light on at Chantal’s and see her through the window preparing dinner.  I can smell the odor of a light fire and see a trickle of smoke leave her chimney.  I continue on my path, and within minutes, I am at the edge of the village.  I pass the last streetlight and the glow from the few houses in the village is quickly no longer visible.  The sun has set, but there is still subtle colors in the sky which permit me to see the road clearly.  I am alone, but happily on my way to meet Christophe.
The road that I have so often walked looks different in the fading light.  The colors fade and distance details are more difficult to distinguish.  I can no longer see the far end of the field I pass, but I know there is a wire fence there and the mountain climbs quickly after it.  My mind wanders as I walk pass the large pine trees and the first curve in the road. In front of me, I can see the lights of the town below and the headlights of moving cars.  I wonder if one of them is Christophe.  Continuing, I examine a large knotty oak tree and the silhouette it creates against the graying sky.  It is much more beautiful and graceful in this light.  Passing it, I look ahead: it is darker than I thought. 
“My eyes just need a moment to adjust”, I think to myself, but then I start to look past the trees.  The sky has almost lost all its color and I am heading into a heavy wooded area.  It’s going to get much darker and the light is fading fast.
I don’t stress, and reach into my pocket and pull out the flashlight I shoved into it earlier.  I turn it on and it illuminates the road in front of me.  I figure I have about 15 more minutes to go before I meet Christophe and think the flashlight was a good idea.
I make it around the next curve and listen to my breathing as I pick up the pace a little.  With my eyes, I follow the spotlight the flashlight makes and occasionally point it into the direction of the woods to get a new image of my familiar surroundings.  I focus the flashlight on one tree after another and notice the few leaves that remain.  A gust of wind picks up and takes some of the leaves into the darkness with it, leaving the trees barer than before.  The familiar setting now looks austere and unwelcoming, and the grace the fading light provided has given way to something much harsher.
   Then, far up the ridge, I hear a faint grunt, a rustle of dry leaves, and then hear a small cascade of rocks fall.  I whip my flashlight around, shining it up the ridge, but I see nothing.  I move it back and forth to see if I can spot something, but the light is too weak and does not penetrate the thick darkness.  I start to panic and illuminate where the rocks have fallen, but nothing can be seen either.  I’m scared I am going to be face to face with a wild boar and all I am armed with is a weak flashlight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment