About Me

My photo
Southern France
Lynn Deasy is a freelance writer, author, foodie, and garden tinkerer. She lives in a 600 year old house in southern France with her husband, Christophe. Currently, she is looking for a literary agent for her memoir CA VA? STORIES FROM RURAL LIFE IN SOUTHERN FRANCE which examines the oddities of French provincial living from an outsider’s point of view through a series of adventures that provide more than a fair share of frustration, education, admiration, and blisters…. yes, lots and lots of blisters. Lynn blogs every Monday, Wednesday, and sometimes Friday.

Sunday, May 1, 2011

MaY MEMOIR: The Prologue from: Ca va? Stories from Rural Life in Southern France

Here we are, at the beginning of MaY MEMOIR!  Each day in the month of May I'll be posting part of each chapter from my memoir, Ca va?  Stories from Rural Life in Southern France where I share the joys, challenges, and oddities of French provincial living.

The Prologue

Alright, a prologue isn’t exactly a chapter, but each story has a beginning.  This is the moment where Fate stepped in and decided I needed to follow a different path.

From:
Ca va?  Stories from Rural Life in Southern France

He stood in the doorway asking us to keep it down; a silhouette with a curly mop of hair.
“You’re keeping me up”, he says.  “My window is right there”, and he points to the 600 year old stone house just a few feet away.
Panicky, I look at Corrine; she speaks French, she’ll know what do.  She walks across the terrace with a smile, and then, confidently, offers the unknown a glass a wine.
 “Well, it’s better than going back to bed and not sleeping because of the noise” he says.  And it was, much better.
That 600 year old house is now my home and that curly headed silhouette, he’s the reason I went from living in Chicago to living in a village in the middle of mountains in the south of France.  I quit my job, said goodbye to my friends, and moved thousands of miles away from my family.  I stepped into another world, another time, and found a brand new adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment