About Me

My photo
Southern France
Lynn Deasy is a freelance writer, author, foodie, and garden tinkerer. She lives in a 600 year old house in southern France with her husband, Christophe. Currently, she is looking for a literary agent for her memoir CA VA? STORIES FROM RURAL LIFE IN SOUTHERN FRANCE which examines the oddities of French provincial living from an outsider’s point of view through a series of adventures that provide more than a fair share of frustration, education, admiration, and blisters…. yes, lots and lots of blisters. Lynn blogs every Monday, Wednesday, and sometimes Friday.

Friday, July 20, 2012

Who is Thomas Voeckler?




I’m not a big Tour de France fan.  Yes, I acknowledge it is a huge athletic feat, and when I am forced to watch it, it does show some fantastic countryside and architecture, but it doesn’t hold that spark for me.  It’s missing the flash of Michael Jordan or the likeability of Walter Payton.  I was disappointed when I discovered it was a team sport.  I always imaged every man for himself and the first one over the finish line is the winner.  It’s not like that; it just keeps going on and on, and even though I’ve tried, it’s just a letdown for me.

Now, along comes this cyclist, Thomas Voeckler, who is the sweetheart of the nation.   I say “along comes”, but he’s been around for quite some time. He won the French National Road Race Championship two times, Grand Prix Cycliste de Québec, and is one of the most predominate French cyclist.  In the 2004 Tour de France, he wore the maillot jaune or yellow jersey for 10 days; placed 4th in the 2011 Tour; and even stopped to hug his wife and children in the midst of a sprint.  So far, he has worn the polka dotted jersey, signaling the best climber, twice and all point to him wearing it until end of the race on Sunday. 

There is a daily recap after the race which partially focuses on the cyclist’s candid moments.  Last night, Tomas Voeckler’s young son explained how he liked the polka dotes on his father’s jersey and wears one like him.  He wanted to keep the jersey, but Thomas had to explain he might need to give it to someone else if they earn the title.  Then, he signed, exhausted, and told his son he’ll try his best to keep it for him.  There is something likeable about this guy.

I still don’t get all the classifications or points earned (Did you know they earn points?), but something enjoyable has come out of this year’s race for me.  There’s a human side to the glossy helmets and mirrored glasses whizzing by.  There appears to be humor, grace, and a very likeable person.  Who is Thomas Voeckler?  Apparently, the person who might make me like watching the Tour de France.

No comments:

Post a Comment