About Me

My photo
Southern France
Lynn Deasy is a freelance writer, author, foodie, and garden tinkerer. She lives in a 600 year old house in southern France with her husband, Christophe. Currently, she is looking for a literary agent for her memoir CA VA? STORIES FROM RURAL LIFE IN SOUTHERN FRANCE which examines the oddities of French provincial living from an outsider’s point of view through a series of adventures that provide more than a fair share of frustration, education, admiration, and blisters…. yes, lots and lots of blisters. Lynn blogs every Monday, Wednesday, and sometimes Friday.

Friday, September 7, 2012

Why I like the French Post, or Why Private Couriers in France Stink




I guess I had bought into the hype when I thought using a private courier, like UPS or Fedex, was better than the post office.  The US Post Office has a reputation and when I moved to France, I transplanted that image.  I was wrong.  The mail couriers play a vital role in French rural life; they do more than just bring the mail.  For many, this is the only person seen all day.   They bring news of life elsewhere, weather on the other side of the ridge, and sometimes, bread from the bakery.  There are many changes happening to the French postal services to conform the EU regulations, many not for the better, but I will always choose this public service over private every time.  The reason is simple: they bring me my mail.  It’s an easy thing, but strangely enough, private services cannot seem to wrap their heads around that idea; a service paid should be a service delivered – pun intended.  Allow me to illustrate:

We recently ordered an item online, which I found in the hands of my three year old daughter when I picked her up from school.  Earlier that day, the driver had called to see if I would be home, and in my excitement about the first day of school, said I would be available until the end of the school day.  My daughter’s school is in a nearby town, more conveniently positioned on his route, so he took the liberty of interrupting 100 students who most likely confused the doorbell for recess.  I wish I could say this is the only time a problem has happened, but it isn’t.

After getting married, I got a new passport from the US Consulate in Marseille.  I was required to use a private courier and sign for the package to insure it would be received.  I never got a chance to sign for it.  It was given to a village resident who falsely presented himself as the mayor and the courier handed it to him without question, or my signature.  He in turn, handed it off to someone who eventually gave it to me.  That’s right, an American passport, highly prized for its price on the black market, passed through at least two hands before I got it.

And of course there was the time when a courier flat out refused to deliver to us saying it was too far and “gas costs money”.  We had to call the company we ordered business supplies from to finally get the delivery through.

This is just a small example of what has happened.  The large couriers outsource their deliverers which get outsourced again and we have some John in a run-down pick-up truck complaining about where we live.  Private couriers in France stink - period.

Did I tell you about my wedding dress I bought in the US and had shipped to me in France?  It came to me in one piece, uncrushed, and without a complaint.

I used the post office.

No comments:

Post a Comment