About Me

My photo
Southern France
Lynn Deasy is a freelance writer, author, foodie, and garden tinkerer. She lives in a 600 year old house in southern France with her husband, Christophe. Currently, she is looking for a literary agent for her memoir CA VA? STORIES FROM RURAL LIFE IN SOUTHERN FRANCE which examines the oddities of French provincial living from an outsider’s point of view through a series of adventures that provide more than a fair share of frustration, education, admiration, and blisters…. yes, lots and lots of blisters. Lynn blogs every Monday, Wednesday, and sometimes Friday.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Glamorous Life


A lot of people ask me how life is different in France.  There is a lot: the food, the culture, the language, all very predictable elements.  I guess what people don’t expect is, just like elsewhere, there are days that nothing exciting happens.  On this blog, I try to point out some of the really fun differences, the oddities of life not lived anywhere but here, but the hidden truth is sometimes my life is just ordinary.  I do the laundry, clean the bathroom, make dinner – all very glamorous things.  Today is one of those days.  I do try to temper this with trips to the market or complete immersions into cultural events, but honestly, the ins and outs of living, the daily needs, are simply a part of life, no matter where we live.  We all try put forth the image of our lives well lived, that we’re arrived, and somehow have become the person we have wanted to be, that we have somehow achieved “glamour”.  Sometimes that happens, other times, not.  I’ve never tried to lie about life here; I’m still working on being the person I want to be, and that person who writes about cheese, lives in a 600 year old house, and writes about some of the odd things about life in rural France, still needs to clean the toilet and have ordinary days from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment