About Me

My photo
Southern France
Lynn Deasy is a freelance writer, author, foodie, and garden tinkerer. She lives in a 600 year old house in southern France with her husband, Christophe. Currently, she is looking for a literary agent for her memoir CA VA? STORIES FROM RURAL LIFE IN SOUTHERN FRANCE which examines the oddities of French provincial living from an outsider’s point of view through a series of adventures that provide more than a fair share of frustration, education, admiration, and blisters…. yes, lots and lots of blisters. Lynn blogs every Monday, Wednesday, and sometimes Friday.

Friday, June 24, 2011

For the love of slippers

For being the world’s fashion capital, France has one really strange thing going for it: slippers.  Never in my life have I see so many people outside with slippers on.  This is not the quick dash to get the morning paper from the driveway, but rather, a conscience effort to use them as daily footwear.  I’ve seen people in the bakery, walking down the street, and even gardening while wearing slippers.  Heck, I’ve even witnessed people drive to our house with their slippers on and then sit at the kitchen table with a cocktail in hand oblivious to the fashion faux pas right at our feet.  I have no idea as to why this is done.  Slippers are not outdoor footwear, but some reason, many people here think they are.  I’m all for comfortable shoes, but I think this goes past the limit of acceptability and into the realm of ridiculous. 
There you have it, the hidden, dirty truth: the French have great shoes, but refuse to wear them outdoors, maybe they're scared of getting them dirty.

It makes me wonder what they wear around the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment