About Me

My photo
Southern France
Lynn Deasy is a freelance writer, author, foodie, and garden tinkerer. She lives in a 600 year old house in southern France with her husband, Christophe. Currently, she is looking for a literary agent for her memoir CA VA? STORIES FROM RURAL LIFE IN SOUTHERN FRANCE which examines the oddities of French provincial living from an outsider’s point of view through a series of adventures that provide more than a fair share of frustration, education, admiration, and blisters…. yes, lots and lots of blisters. Lynn blogs every Monday, Wednesday, and sometimes Friday.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

It's not your onions, and other great French phrases

Just like in English, the French language has lots of popular phrases.  Here’s one that I like:
Ce n’est pas tes oignons

A literal translation would mean:
“It’s not your onions”.

Useful translation:
It’s none of your business.

I first tried using the phrase, “Ce n’est pas tes business”, but people only shook their head at me.  The language doesn’t work that way, got to stick to the phrase with no modifications.

I’ve asked around as to the origin of this French phrase, but no one seems to know.  Perhaps it is because I didn’t grow up on a farm, but I can’t come up with an American phrase that is rooted in agriculture like this.  I think this shows the profound influence culture and history have on popular vernacular.
Here’s another I like:

Arrête de me raconter des salads

Or:
“Stop telling me about salads”.

More useful:
Stop lying to me.

I love the image this one creates, like a salad is going to takes your lies anyway.

Do you have any favorite botanical based phrases? (Keep it clean, please…)

2 comments:

  1. Your article is really informative to learn French language. Everyone should improve their native language and people should take various courses for improving their language. French learner can improve their language skill by taking Language course, they can study french

    phrase and vocabulary books and thus they can improve wonderful French language .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Rosalyne. I like learning the language and find phrases like the ones above very funny. I'm certain there are English phrases that are just as confusing to any foreigner too. Thanks for reading!

      Delete