About Me

My photo
Southern France
Lynn Deasy is a freelance writer, author, foodie, and garden tinkerer. She lives in a 600 year old house in southern France with her husband, Christophe. Currently, she is looking for a literary agent for her memoir CA VA? STORIES FROM RURAL LIFE IN SOUTHERN FRANCE which examines the oddities of French provincial living from an outsider’s point of view through a series of adventures that provide more than a fair share of frustration, education, admiration, and blisters…. yes, lots and lots of blisters. Lynn blogs every Monday, Wednesday, and sometimes Friday.

Monday, June 13, 2011

Strawberry jam, Part 2: A success story or knowing when it's time to ask for help

Last week, when I wrote I asked everyone I know about making strawberry jam, I was fibbing a little.  I never asked Madame Gousse, our dear friend.  She knows everything, whether it be about plants, the cuisine, or her new hobby, cultivating bees.  So why didn’t I ask her for help when I was making strawberry jam that would be better used as mortar?  Shame.  As small and simple as that might be: shame.  If everyone kept telling me that making strawberry jam was that simple, how could I build any culinary trust between us if I couldn’t get this first step right?  I’m trying to learn all I can from her about the Catalan cuisine, so I needed to show her I could get the little things right.  Like, who’s going to show you how to make a soufflé if you can’t crack an egg?
Boy, was I wrong for not asking sooner.  She gave me no blank stares, no bulging eyes, no jaw dropping – she just simply told me how to do it and what I was doing wrong.  To sum up the lesson: I was Americanizing the process.  I was thinking too big.  I was hording the berries in the freezer so I could make a batch as big as possible to say how much I’ve made and how efficient I have been.  Wrong.  The process is small; use only the berries collected that day to make the jam.  Most of the time, it means only making a jar or two at a time, no more.
Since my lesson, I’ve made strawberry jam twice now, once creating two jars and once just a single jar.  Each time, it has come out perfect.  It’s clearly more time consuming, but I can be proud of the product I have created.  In fact, I can actually eat it. 
It’s all about adapting.  I’ve learned that sometimes applying what you know to something new works, but knowing when to step back and try a new method is even more important. 

No comments:

Post a Comment