About Me

My photo
Southern France
Lynn Deasy is a freelance writer, author, foodie, and garden tinkerer. She lives in a 600 year old house in southern France with her husband, Christophe. Currently, she is looking for a literary agent for her memoir CA VA? STORIES FROM RURAL LIFE IN SOUTHERN FRANCE which examines the oddities of French provincial living from an outsider’s point of view through a series of adventures that provide more than a fair share of frustration, education, admiration, and blisters…. yes, lots and lots of blisters. Lynn blogs every Monday, Wednesday, and sometimes Friday.

Friday, June 22, 2012

Cool Stuff We Found in the Dirt


I’ve always dreamed of finding some hidden treasure buried deep in the dirt; something of value and something with a story to tell.  I didn’t grow up near the sea or the ocean, so finding a hidden pirate treasure was impossible, but I still imagined that I could.  I dreamt up some far-fetched story of how the treasure chest would make it to suburbia and somehow not catch the eye of anyone until I came along.  I remember finding a fossil when I was younger and thinking I was great explorer.  That is why I liked the film The Goonies; it built upon that fantasy and took it a few steps even farther. 

As we are clearing the field I wrote of the other day, we are finding a lot of things, no gold, but some pretty cool stuff.   None of it is ancient or of real value, but there’s a story behind each thing, even if we don’t know it yet.  I have to leave that part to my imagination.
Here’s a quick look:

This looks to be some type of harness; it’s heavy and properly made of iron.  The pieces were found in different parts of the field.  I imagine an old mule shrugging off the pieces on his very last plow before he collapses from exhaustion.

This could be part of the harness too, but this is hand forged.  Its surface is bumpy and irregular.  Since it is hand forged, it might be older than the harness.

A bottle.  It stands about 4 inches high and has verre perdu or “lost glass” etched on the bottom.  Like the old 8 pack of Pepsi, glass bottles required a deposit.  Verre perdu dates sometimes after deposits were no longer used and before recycling was common place.  It is now sitting on the chimney mantle holding three roses.

Another bottle.  It looks like a 7-Up bottle and it too has verre perdu etched on the bottom.  This bottle is about 6 inches tall.


Bones; more specifically, animal bones for the morbidly curious.

A small pail.  It’s been crushed, but this looks like something used on a farm.
 

Some funky glass pieces.


No comments:

Post a Comment