About Me

My photo
Southern France
Lynn Deasy is a freelance writer, author, foodie, and garden tinkerer. She lives in a 600 year old house in southern France with her husband, Christophe. Currently, she is looking for a literary agent for her memoir CA VA? STORIES FROM RURAL LIFE IN SOUTHERN FRANCE which examines the oddities of French provincial living from an outsider’s point of view through a series of adventures that provide more than a fair share of frustration, education, admiration, and blisters…. yes, lots and lots of blisters. Lynn blogs every Monday, Wednesday, and sometimes Friday.

Friday, June 1, 2012

Happy Mother’s Day!



Yes, I know Mother’s Day was two weeks ago, but I have a confession: I forgot.  I called my mother two days late, but I stand behind one defense:

Mother’s Day in France is not on the same day. 

I did not have Hallmark commercial in front of me, nor television ads telling me to send my mother a bouquet of flowers.  I somehow even sidestepped every internet mention of it, so I completely forgot about it – until it was too later, or shall I reiterate: two late.

Mother’s Day in France is this coming Sunday, June 3rd.  It has American roots, which goes a little like this:

The concept of Mother’s Day was imagined by writer Julia Ward Howe in 1872.  The idea built stem and then in 1907 a teacher by the name of Anna Jarvis asked for authorization to organize a day to honor mothers.  In 1914, President Woodrow Wilson made it official and declared Mother’s Day to be on the second Sunday in May.

The idea of a “Mother’s Day” was brought over with American soldiers during the First World War.  It was acknowledged in 1950 by French President Vincent Auriol.  Later, General Charles de Gaulle moved the date to the last Sunday in May, unless it coincides with Pentecost, which is a national holiday.  When this happens, Mother’s Day is moved one Sunday back.  Thus is the case this year, placing it in the month of June.  So, not only does it not fall on the same date, sometimes it doesn’t even fall in the same month.  I know I’m still wrong, but I somehow feel justified.

So, allow me to be two days early in wishing my Mother and all the Moms out there, a very bonne fête des Mères!  The flowers should arrive shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment