About Me

My photo
Southern France
Lynn Deasy is a freelance writer, author, foodie, and garden tinkerer. She lives in a 600 year old house in southern France with her husband, Christophe. Currently, she is looking for a literary agent for her memoir CA VA? STORIES FROM RURAL LIFE IN SOUTHERN FRANCE which examines the oddities of French provincial living from an outsider’s point of view through a series of adventures that provide more than a fair share of frustration, education, admiration, and blisters…. yes, lots and lots of blisters. Lynn blogs every Monday, Wednesday, and sometimes Friday.

Friday, November 18, 2011

Stick to the Basics

We’re going to celebrating Thanksgiving early this year.  I’ve gotten used to this being a movable date since the French don’t have Thanksgiving off, so it’s going to be this weekend.  I’ve served my traditional dinner several times with great success, but I’m up for the challenge of reworking the menu this year.  All the ingredients will stay the same, and there will be some minor substitutions, but I going to put everything together slightly differently.
This reminds of a Thanksgiving many years ago when I tackled dinner for my family.  I wanted everything to be different; I grilled apples, I added roasted garlic to the mashed potatoes, and I completely changed out the traditional sausage stuffing for a sage-cornbread one.  Then, my father walked into the kitchen and was unpleasantly surprised with what I was doing; I was touching a tradition.  I was obligated to then make everything again.  So, we had sage-cornbread stuffing and sausage stuffing, grilled apples and apple pie, and of course, regular mashed potatoes.  It’s still a family joke, and I’ve told time and again that traditional dishes shouldn’t change.
Perhaps I’m playing with fire, but I’m ready to mix it up again.  For starters, I’m going to debone the turkey.  I’ve never done it before and while some would same Thanksgiving is not the day for firsts, I say why not.  I’ve been warned to “stick to the basics” from one who experienced my first Thanksgiving debacle, but I’m going throw caution into the wind.  No grilled apples this time, I’m going stuff them and bake ‘em. 
I’ll let you know how it goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment